Lay Pastoral Visitors Orientation Programme
Participation in this programme requires the completion of the Lay Pastoral Visitors Orientation Programme (or its equivalent).
The orientation programme consists of six hours of training enabling members of the team to consider what is important in a helping, listening relationship. Sessions include:
- Exploring the different skills required for effective listening
- Opportunities for sharing experience and ideas about good practice in pastoral visiting
- Careful consideration of important issues relating to safe pastoral care, trust and confidentiality
- An understanding of the place of pastoral lay ministry within the wider life and mission of the church
- An appreciation of what is distinctive about Christians involved in pastoral care
O Almighty God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, we pray to you for your servant whose sickness is bringing him/her to the end of his/her earthly life. You are the God whose only-begotten Son taught us that not even the smallest sparrow can fall without your knowledge, and that you hold all creation in your merciful arms. Look upon your servant and allow this illness to be for the death only of those things which are the result of evil and sin. Let his/her thoughts be quieted with the peace and confidence of his/her final deliverance into the fullness of tour love. Keep his/her soul and body pure, and sanctify them during the time he/she remains among us, that on the last day he/she maybe raised up with all your saints to live with you in never-ending glory. For to you belong praise and worship, to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and ever, and unto ages of ages. Amen.